Monday, March 15, 2010

When Natural Hair Needs a Relaxer!


Believe it or not ladies, natural hair always needs a relaxer! What I mean by that is Natural hair needs a break too! Yes I know most people thought I was talking about a perm or a chemical relaxer but indeed I was referring to good old fashion rest. A rest from too much twist, curls, flat irons, gel etc... Here I have recommended a pattern to keep your hair experiencing the many different types of hair styles. Your hair can look wonderful with minimal work! Here's how.

Like everything in life, there is an ebb and flow. A time in which is a recurrent or rhythmical pattern of coming and going, or decline and regrowth. Simply put there is a time for everything! Lets make the best time the most useful. I enjoy seeing the world in its natural stages. Lets take the seasons for example.

Winter- This is the coldest season of the year and like most types of hair, the harsh cold elements are not on our side! So in the winter it is best to use the common garb for the protection of your hair. Hats, scarfs and wraps are always great for this cold season. In the Winter I usually wear my hair in twists and put an attractive hat like a french beret or a cable knit beanie on which are all moderately priced and last year after year. In addition to the wonderful hat accessories, I always add more moister to my hair by adding a little more oil in my spray bottle than in the warmer months. Depending on how my hair feels I may even use a deep conditioner twice in two weeks instead of once.
Spring- This is my favorite season ever! I love to see the flowers blossom, the rain comes and soaks my hair and the temperature seems to always be just right! Perfect season for up-do's, wash and go's and slick backs! In addition to being my favorite season, Spring tends to be the season on growth and also productivity- even when it comes to hair! One way to keep track of your hair growth is to keep a log that has the measurements from month to month (you can use a standard inch ruler as a measuring device). If you prefer not to keep a log book or a journal then simply writing it on your calendar will do just fine. This is an easy way to monitor the progress of your hair. Long hair doesn't necessarily mean healthy hair but if growth is a goal of yours then keeping track in any way you feel works best for you is the way to go.

Summer- This is the warmest season which can be both good and bad. With the weather being so hot you can add more water to your daily hair regime and not have to worry about catching cold or pneumonia! However on the flip side, the heat of the summer months can also damage natural hair and cause hair to be heat colored and even fried. The best way to avoid this is to.....here it goes....Moisturize! Yes ladies this is the answer to healthy hair. Moisture adds strength, vitality and health! Also in addition to the daily and even weekly deep conditioner you might want to consider using a Protein conditioner which adds protein and also strength (bounce) to the hair.

Fall- This season is also very good on the hair. It's generally not too hot nor is it too cold. I use the fall season to get my hair done with what is called extensions. This is when a piece of false (artificial) hair is added to your natural hair by way of braiding method. This is what some people call a protective method. I would agree! When I do these extensions of kinky twist extensions my hair tends to not dry out at all, I wash it as usual and after about a month and one half of keeping it in, I finally take it out and my hair has grown 1-2 inches in just a short period of time.

All of these looks are interchangeable, some may be better for the specific season but never limit your self or your creative ebb and flow!

Always Enjoy you hair

For any questions, comments or suggestions for future post
contact me directly at Simply.naturel@gmail.com

Images provided by: www.kuati.com,www.a-shu.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. No Problem! Thanks for all of your support! I'll be checking out your blog too. :-D

    ReplyDelete