Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Selling Out?


Being natural is a beautiful experience, however, like anything else great and beautiful in life comes the price we have to pay of being scrutinized, criticized and categorized!

Today I ask the question "Is it selling out when women with natural hair use products that are not completely natural?"

There are many different definitions and perspectives of natural hair.

Here are some of the definitions :

  • Some people believe that natural hair is when you don't perm your hair (doesn't matter what products you use)
  • Others believe that it's when you don't perm your hair or use products that were manufactured from foreign substances
  • While others believe that even adding hair i.e. weave or extensions to your natural hair is not fully natural.
These views are all different and all have their places, I say "Do what works for you!" Any of my closest friends who know me will say that I am an honest person, even to a fault. Yes folks that means I'm blunt, thus when I say do what works for you, I am simply stating my honest opinion. I have seen women who have natural hair use natural products and their hairs grows but 1 inch and I have seen women with natural hair who use petroleum (Yes Petroleum products) and their hair is long and full. Again I say this with love because I am fully aware that this is a touchy topic -"Use what works for you!"

Personally I have found that there are natural products that work better on my hair when it comes to certain needs and man made products work better for other needs. For instance I use store bought (un-natural) shampoo's and conditioners. I also like to us leave in's such as Infusium 23, V05 leave in etc to deep condition... when I use leave in products like oil, styling cream's and such, I like to use natural products for the most part because it will stay in my hair the longest and my face can sometimes be prone to breakouts and I just find that natural (light) products don't cause as much breakouts.

Ladies it all depends on what works for you. I just encourage you to try and experiment until you find what works for you and don't let the words of others even the natural ladies discourage you from finding the best product for you because they said it doesn't work for their hair. It is a fact that what works for one may not work for the other. Your favorite product is out there waiting for you to find it. So keep on looking!

Always Enjoy Your Hair!

For any questions and comments feel free to leave a message in the comment box or e-mail me directly at Simply.naturel@gmail.com

Image provided by: Google search engine- Essence Mag


No comments:

Post a Comment