Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Power of Separation!




I have been natural for going on 3 1/2 years and counting. At some points time seemed to have rushed by and at other times a snail appeared to be walking faster than time itself. During this period of being natural, I have learned that there are many occasions when we must take our time in dealing with our natural hair. Natural hair is very strong but like anything strong, there is always going to be a weakness. Learning new ways to keep your hair at its maximum strength is something all naturals need to know. Hence this is why separating your hair is key!

At first when I heard about this method of detangling, washing, moisturizing I thought to myself, this will take too long. I was wrong! In fact it cuts the time in thirds! I'm and not joking. As I mentioned I have been natural for some years now and thanks to moisturizing, protective styling and a lot of love and care, my hair has grown significantly in comparison to when I was perming my hair. As my hair grew I started to notice I was spending an extra 15 minutes in the showers after washing my hair. Trying to detangle my hair uggghhh. My hair was shedding like a wild animal! Hairs were every where, not to mention I believe that I also experienced breakage due to trying to detangle a head full of hair.

Then I started to do some research through fellow bloggers and also youtube on methods of detangling natural hair. What I came across was the parting method or what I like to call "The power of separation" method. Where instead of trying to detangle all of your hair at once you put several parts in your hair and detangle one at a time.

Directions:

This is a very flexible method, in that you can part in the middle going vertically and then 1 more part going in the opposite direction or horizontally leaving you with 4 sections. Tie each part or hold with a clip, rubber band or clamp, which ever you prefer, I also two strand twist them. Wet with water each section and apply a creamy thick conditioner to each section. Comb through with a wide tooth comb and remember to always start from the bottom ends of your hair and work your way up to the root. Then do the same for all other sections, retying them once you have completed the procedure. This method should take less than 10 minutes for most hair lengths!

At this point your hair is filled with conditioner. It wont hurt to let it set for a few more minutes, also I try and make a point to do it when I'm in the shower so that after my hair is detangled I can spend time washing my body and the conditioner is deeply penetrating my hair at the same time! Ladies can we say multi tasking!

Enjoy this new method of detangling your hair, some of you may already know about this method. Feel free to comment about your experience and what works for you :-)


Images provided by: Google search engine


2 comments:

  1. I just made the decision to go natural. This all seems so complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sangria, Yes it can seem a bit complicated at first but as you stick with it you will become so must better with styles and routines, and feel more confident in your abilities. There are so many resources out there like blogs :-), vlogges on youtube. check them all out and takes note. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete